Monday, August 20, 2012

Houston, We Have Liftoff

Well at this point, all of the young are in the air! They grow up so fast. This completes a large portion of the osprey life cycle. All that's left is migration and reproduction, which are actually pretty big deals. But it's almost like watching a child grow up because  you do get somewhat attached to them. I feel almost like I'm better at guessing the age of an osprey than an actually human baby! I have particularly liked watching Osprey 1 this year because this is the first year they have really taken to the actually platform and not the power line about 100 yards away. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Osprey 1 holds some significance so it's great to see a whole family. I was just there yesterday casting a line and watching birds. I thought to myself yesterday that I would go fishing with the osprey. Naturally they outfished me. I only got a few bites while they simply swooped down and grabbed lunch. I could be wrong, but I think I spotted one of the chicks in a tree with its very own fish. Which I can appreciate. It was probably hard enough for the male to keep feeding them when they couldn't even fly let alone near full sized. Teenagers....

No comments:

Post a Comment